Getting Married Outside the Parish

Church Regulations

Couples getting married outside their parish must fulfill the following requirements.

Pre-marraige (Pre Nuptial Enquiry Papers)

These papers are prepared by the Parish Priest in which each of you live at present. You should contact him not later than four months before the date of your Wedding. Please ensure that the completed papers arrive at this office not less than one month before the date of your Wedding – to avoid last minute panic.
Your priest will require:-

  1. Baptismal Certificate of recent date – obtained from the church of your Baptism. The best time for this is usually after the 10.00 am weekday mass, or by post enclosing a SAE and appropriate fee – at least €3.
  2. Confirmation Certificate if this is not noted on your Baptismal certificate. (Available from the Church of your Confirmation)
  3. Proof of Freedom Form for any place of residence of over six months duration. Perhaps it would be best to consult the Priest first. He will advise you on what you need to get.
  4. Copy of your Pre-Marriage Course certificate

These forms indicate that you are a full member of the Church, and that there is no record of you having been married previously in Church.

Please note that you must complete a form of ‘Notification to the Registrar of Intention To Marry’. This must be attended to in person at least six months before the date of your Wedding. Part 6 of the Civil Registration Act 2004 commenced on Monday, 5th November, 2007. Please check out getting married more information.

Pre Marriage Course

Attendance at a Pre-Marriage Course is strongly recommended to all couples. For further details and contacts click on the section Pre-Marriage Courses on this website.

Other Personal Circumstances

Some people’s personal circumstances are more complicated than the norm and require further permission. It is always best to meet with the priest and discuss the situation.

Inter Church Marriage

When a Catholic wishes to marry a Christian of another denomination they must ask for a dispensation from their local bishop. The granting of this dispensation is dependant upon the promise of the Catholic party to ensure that their future children will be baptised in the Catholic Church and brought up in the faith.

In the event of the marriage ceremony being held in the church of another denomination it is necessary to ask for a dispensation of Form, that is permission to be married by the rites of another church. Again this permission is granted by the diocesan bishop.

Inter Faith Marriage

When a Catholic wishes to marry a person who is not baptised, or who is a member of another faith, they must seek a dispensation from the bishop. This is called a Disparity of Cult dispensation.